Time Spreader is a macro-enabled spreadsheet for measuring and logging time spent per client, task or project.
This tool provides the ability to easily enter daily start and stop times in any of four user-defined categories.
Multiple sessions are measured and tallied throughout the day, with totals logged for each category.
Each file provides tracking for up to four categories, though it is equally effective for one, two or three.
More than four categories can be tracked by using additional, separate files (4 categories per file).
This versatile tool is applicable to a broad variety of time measurement and recording needs.
Overview and Detailed Instructions
© Daniel Baran 2022
Worksheet 1 is divided into four tables.
The name of each table heading is user settable (simply type over the "User Label" headers using 20 characters or less).
Changing the name on Sheet1 will automatically propagate the name to the other worksheets.
To begin tracking time, do the following:
1. Click into the topmost available cell in the "Start" column for the appropriate category.
2. Click the macro button labeled "Insert Time". The current date and time will be entered into that cell .
The focus will shift to the cell immediately to the right (in the stop column for that table).
3. When it is time to stop or switch categories, click the "Insert Time" macro button again.
The time will be entered in the stop column and elapsed time will be displayed in the third column (Total).
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for any other categories or tasks as necessary throughout the day.
The totals per category will automatically be displayed at the bottom of each table as stop times are entered.
5. Input Start or Stop times can be adjusted by the increments indicated on the provided buttons.
To do this, simply select an already populated input cell, then click the +/- button as needed.
Worksheet 2 is where daily totals are logged by the "End of Day" operation.
1. When the last stop time of the day has been recorded press the "End of Day" button.
2. Focus will jump to Sheet2, and the Day, Date and Time Totals will be logged below the solid blue divider bar.
3. As each "End of Day" is processed the previous day’s data will be shifted down (one day per row, newest at the top).
4. Averages for the most recent 25 days will be calculated and displayed at the right side of the page.
5. Return to Worksheet 1 to prepare it for the next day’s session. Click the macro button "Clear all Inputs".
6. All input times on Worksheet 1 will be cleared and the "Save-As" command will be issued. Name and Save your file.
Worksheet 3 requires no user interaction. It automatically accumulates and displays time totals sorted by month.
This is done for each table, as well as a Grand Total for each month. Distribution percentages are also displayed.
A Quick Tutorial (9 Slides)
Description and Use